Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Very Own Eye Chart for Eyeshadow Placement

Hello my lovelies! I hope you are all doing good today. In this post, I will be writing about the eye chart, my very own eye chart for eyeshadow placement. This is how I basically apply my eye makeup. It may vary from one person to another because no two people have exactly the same eye shape. This is a guide for all my readers who are just starting to explore the colorful world of cosmetics.

I am warning you that the image you will be seeing below isn't very appealing to the eyes. It might  be even painful to look at by those who are artistically inclined and computer geeks among you:D Although I tried my very best to the maximum level, this is the clearest image I was able to come up with. So please bear with me...



Let's decipher this rather strange looking diagram:D

The black line just above the lower lashes is called WATERLINE. This is where I usually apply kajal/kohl. It's a very sensitive area so be careful when you're lining it. Make sure to use soft and creamy pencil eyeliner and be careful not to poke the insides of your peepers. Do avoid using black eyeliner on the waterline if you have small eyes. Instead, a white eyeliner if you're very fair or a flesh-colored/beige one if you have medium-to-dark complexion can make your eyes appear bigger and is more flattering.

The white line just below the upper lashline is the TIGHTLINE area. Many actually skip this part due to the fear of injuring their eyes. And it does look quite scary at first but it only needs getting used to. What tightlining does is it coats the area between the roots of the eyelashes with kajal/eyeliner  so they look a lot fuller. I love this trick because I have small eyes and too much eyeliner makes them look a lot smaller. It's a great way to make the eyes appear bigger. One easy way of tightlining is to look up without moving your head and just gently push the tip of the eyeliner against your upper waterline.

The yellow area near the tear duct is the inner corner of the eye. I usually apply a shimmery eyeshadow to highlight this area. It opens up the eyes instantly and makes you look more awake.

The blue line just above the tightline area is the upper lashline. This is the most common area in which eyeliner is applied. 

The purplish blue area below the waterline is the lower lashline. I extended it just a bit on the outer side because I usually smudge a dark eyeshadow on the outer two-thirds and a lighter shade towards the inner corner.

The area enclosed in green is as we all know, the lid. This is where I apply the main eyeshadow color. It's divided into three parts: the inner lid (pink), middle lid (orange), and the outer lid (gray). You don't really need to apply three different colors in these areas, unless you're aiming for a rainbow look. It's more like a gradient from a lighter color to a deeper/darker color. The darker color is usually applied on the outer lid. For starters, you can just use one shade on the entire lid until you feel more comfortable with using different colors.

The black area near the outer part of the eye is called the outer V because the shape looks like a sleeping V:) You don't believe me? Try leaning your head to your the right and you'll see the image more clearly:)) This is where I usually apply the darkest eyeshadow to emphasize the depth of the eyes, giving it a more prominent look.

Just above the middle lid and outer V is the crease area which is the brown line in the diagram. This is a very important area and identifying where it is, is sometimes very tricky especially among East and Southeast Asians. One way of determining where the crease is, is to close your eye then place a finger on it. The place where you feel the top of your eyeball is the crease. I generally apply a shade that is just a tad darker than my skintone or a darker counterpart of my chosen lid color on the crease to contour the eyes, giving it a more defined look and shape.

The pink area above the crease is the blend out area. This is where I soften the crease color so there is no harsh line or apparent demarcation of colors. I usually use a color that is closest to my skintone or a lighter shade of the main eyeshadow I used. Or a few strokes of a clean blending brush on this area is more than enough to soften the crease color.

And finally, the yellow area is the highlight. It's that area of the brow which is a bit protruding. We highlight this area with a shimmery shade or something that is close to the skintone if you're doing  a very bright look just to balance it out.

I hope you enjoyed reading this post:) See ya <3

P.S.
I need help:( If anyone among you knows a software, a website or a program that I can use to improve the appearance of my eye chart, please do let me know in the comment section. It badly needs a makeover:D Thank you so much! xoxo


6 comments:

Hafsa said...

I love this post Gliasa..gonna try some makeup following it soon!

Ice said...

I'm glad you liked it Hafsa:) do let me know if the placement works for you...

sonia said...

excellent piece of art...difficult for beginners but im sure its promising :)

Ice said...

Thank you Sonia! I think it's one of the more difficult aspect of eye makeup but with practice, it gets easier;) this is a beginner's guide and you're way past this stage babe:D

Shazia rafat said...

I think your post & the image with it are nothing short of perfect ! So dont u go worrying abt. how to further improve it :)

Ice said...

Thanks Shazia! You just made my day:)