Thursday, January 19, 2012

MAC Studiofix Powder Review


This product is my holy grail powder. It's the one makeup item that I always keep with me, no matter where I go. I think it's also my first purchase from MAC almost five years ago. I have purchased and tried other powders since then, but I always keep coming back to this jewel.

The Product

MAC describes this as: "A one-step application of foundation and powder. Gives skin a smooth, flawless, all-matte, full-coverage finish. Long-wearing: lasts for up to eight hours. A real all-in-one. The choice of pros, and a long time favourite of M∙A∙C fans. "



oppps, sorry for the dirty sponge:( I used it once and forgot about it already:D)






MAC Foundation Shade Selection

Before I start with the actual product review, I would like to discuss the shade selection and terms that MAC uses for its foundations. All MAC foundation shades are labeled according to the codes NC and NW. For non-MAC users, these are total alien terms. I haven't found the true meaning of NC and NW(hello MAC, why keep it a mystery?) but after spending hours and hours in the internet searching for the answer, I somehow learned that these labels pertain to the coolness or warmness of the skintone. And the numbering after these letters refer to the complexion, the higher the number goes, the darker the foundation will be.

Cool VS Warm

How do you identify your skintone? One way of knowing whether you are warm-toned or cool-toned is to look at the veins on your wrist. If you have bluish veins, you are cool-toned. If you have greenish veins, then you have warm skintone. Another way of identifying it is; whether you tan easily or not. Warm skintones generally tan without a problem, while people with cool skintones get sunburnt in no time and turn red instead. And finally, if you have pinkish undertone, then you are cool:) And if you have yellow undertones, then you are warm:)

Back to the NC & NW. NC is for people who have WARM skintone because NC=NOT COOL=WARM. And NW is for those who have COOL skintone, NW=NOT WARM=COOL. By the way, I did not invent these meanings myself:)

Again, NC=WARM and NW=COOL.

My Experience

Like I've already said, this is my favorite product of all time and my biggest favorite from MAC as well. It gives me decent coverage without looking like I have a mask of foundation on. I love that it keeps oiliness at bay and stays fresh-looking even after hours of wear. It comes with a sponge applicator which has its own compartment under the powder. I think that's a very good packaging from MAC as it keeps the sponge spotless and away from the powder. Although, it is useless to me because I hate sponges. I feel that it's really difficult to sanitize them all the time and re-using them when unwashed is just yucky because they absorb all the dirt and sebum. Gross, I know!



I use these brushes instead to apply it. The one on the left is TBS Bronzing Brush and the one on the right is MAC 182. I take the TBS brush with me for touchups and use MAC 182 for the main application.


before & after
My main concern is that I have large pores and uneven skintone. I also suffer from occassional acne attacks especially during those special days of the month:(. I have these hyperpigmentations from old breakouts too grrrrrrr. My skin is very oily and because this foundation is matte, it does a very god joob in keeping me from looking like a walking oil factory. Studiofix powder gives me an even complexion effortlessly. All I do is swirl the brush once on the powder, and apply it on my face in a circular/buffing motion. It hardly takes a minute. Although it doesn't cover up much of my pores, it doesn't accentuate them either. You can also increase the coverage by applying more product, but I like to keep it a bit sheer. You may notice that the powder shows a tad darker against my skin. It's because I am usually NC35, but six months ago, I went to vacation and spent most of the time under the sun and swimming. So I tanned a lot and I gave my old one to my sis which she happily inherited of course:). I bought a new one, an NC41 and now I'm back to my usual color. The difference isn't that noticeable in person, I actually like that it gives me a bit of tan:) But I make sure that I apply it on my neck and blend it properly along my hairline as well.

Is it the right product for you?

If you're looking for a foundation which is very easy to apply, gives medium coverage, fresh-looking and evens skintone, then I highly recommend this one. If you want high-coverage foundation, then this may not be for you. You might not like this product if you have dry skin because it accentuates flakiness and can make your skin look dehydrated and dull. But I still suggest it for touch-ups and for women who are always on the go.

Studiofix Powder is available at MAC stores and costs 150SR.



10 comments:

Aisha said...

Your blogs are always fun to read, good job :) One question: I have combination skin, do u think i should go for it?

Ice said...

Thank you Aisha! :) i definitely think that it would work lovely on combination skin....you can "deposit" the powder on the oilier areas on your face like your T-zone and just dust it lightly all over the face...

Aisha said...

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Hi. I had a question about selecting the right foundation according to your skin color. Exactly how are you suppose to be selecting? Should we go for a tone lighter than our color or the same shade?

I had heard that the studio fix is for oily skin and would work horribly for dry skin. I just wanted to know if this is true or not.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

I recently bought a MAC Studio Moisture Tint and i was told that this could be used in place of a foundation. I have dry skin and I am wheatish color. The professional at the store told me to go with "dark Crema Colorata SPF 15" shade of the Moisture TintIs this true or have I been fooled?

Ice said...

Hello! You should always choose the foundation shade that matches your skintone EXACTLY...but most of the time, that's a lil bit of tricky esp the lightings in most stores(like MAC) dont mimic sunlight which is the most ideal lighting of course....i always encourage everyone to ask for a sample from the stores before buying a full size foundation...take it home and try iton urself..you'll have a better idea whether you'll need the same shade, or a lighter or a darker one...but if you can't find the exact shade, go for the one that is a lil darker...not too dark of course...although, if your skin have the tendency to oxidize(that is, the foundation turns darker after few min once it reacts with your skin), go for the lighter shade...that is the reason why you shud always buy the foundation after an hour or so of applying it, so you can gauge whether your skin will oxidize or not...i hope this helps:)

Ice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ice said...

I have the same shade of Moisture Tint...although the tinted moisturiser looks too dark, once blended, it suits my NC35 skintone properly....so i think the guy in MAC gave you the right shade...and yes, it acts as a light foundation....and since you have dry skin,I think it'll suit you best....but you might want to slather up another moisturiser before putting it on, since for my oily skin, it's just enough...and this is not truly a foundation so it won't cover blemishes, it'll just even out your skintone for a smoother base...

And as for the studiofix powder, yes it is designed for oily skinned people...like what I've mentioned, it can highlight dryness, so not really suitable for drier skin...but it's great for touch-ups:)

ainee said...

Found this blog a v useful piece of writing since m abt to buy a studio fix in cuming days for handling the oil factory in humid weather of karachi...gliasa I need to know abt undertones....wat r they n how to identify which one I have pink or yellow. ...plus if u cud post a pic of applying this studio fix powder wid the brush it wud b a great help....

Anonymous said...

Hi, even lakme cake powder also delivers the same performance as MAC studio fix.... it's a lot cheaper, only 500 indian bucks!!! I used both and found no difference, both were superb.... but lakme is more economic ;p